Wednesday 17 April 2013

My FOP Experience

For my FOP I was "assigned" to work on students' writing skills. Personally I am facing writing skills problems, by working on the issue, it helped me to identify the important elements that contributed to effective writing skills.  In order to have effective writing the content must be well organized, the purpose must be clear, concise and direct to the point, lastly the tone and grammar. As for me, I need to focus on my grammar.

Any way, I felt that I had tried my best. In Chinese we have one quote "One minute on the stage required ten years of practice" . Even though I did not literally spend ten years to prepare, I had spent days to rehearse. On the day of presentation I had went to school early to rehearse, and i had recorded my own presentation and corrected mistook that i had made.

For the presentation, I was third presenter. As soon as first presenter Qi Long finished his presentation, I felt stressed, as his presentation was good and his slides were nice. On the other hand, I felt that my slides are too simple and most importantly my presentation skills are not as good compare to Qi Long.

When it was my turn, I believed that I had a good start up. However, when I was presenting on my recommendations portion, I had skipped part of my script. I did not realised it until I was repeating the same sentence. Naturally, I tried to recall which part I had skipped but I totally forgot what I had forgot. After the presentation, I recalled what had happen and I felt that I should continued to present on other parts instead of standing there trying to recall my script.    

For the Q and A part, I was able to answer all the questions, the problems were the use of the words and the tenses. When I was nervous I did not "process" the words and the tense, I just spill whatever come into my mind.

Quote from JiaHui (my classmate) "To my classmates, I hope you guys feel good about beating your-GT-selves." .  I am satisfied with my FOP performance, as I had beat my-GT-self.  With adequate practice I will be able surpassing myself everyday.



2 comments:

  1. Li Qi, I have seen through your presentation from GT to FOP and finally FIPD. You have improved a lot since your GT and I am really amazed with your improvement. You must have put in a lot of hard work. Keep up the good job, Li Qi!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, LiQi, for this detailed reflection. In it you detail your FOP experience, from the preparation phase, through the delivery itself, to the aftermath. I really appreciate your candid self assessment, which took me back to the day you presented.

    All in all, I feel you made great strides from the GT. In fact, I was proud of the way you showed so much confidence and enthusiasm. If you were nervous, you hid that (or overcame it) well. Of course, as we discussed, there were some glitches. But you finished quite convincingly, even without the 10 years of practice.

    I look forward to seeing your FIPD.

    Al the best in future presentations!

    ReplyDelete